Development officer (part time, flexible)
Role advertised: Development Officer for “Transition Streets” project (freelance contractor)
Commitment: Irregular, including evening and weekends, for up to 250 hours, May 2022 to March 2023
Remuneration: Up to £30/hour
Responsible to: Board of Grand Union Community Energy
Background: With escalating energy prices and an urgent need to reduce our carbon emissions, this role will build neighbourhood networks to explore what we can do to save on the costs of our energy, food and transport.
“Transition Streets” is designed to enable households within a neighbourhood to work together to learn how to reduce their environmental impact and their bills. Participants in each project meet 7 or 8 times in small groups to proceed through a ‘workbook’, reviewing the way they do things under headings such as Food, Transport and Energy Use, so as to identify practical actions they can take which will reduce their vulnerability to the rising costs of energy and carbon.
The Development Officer will:
- Prepare a project plan to implement the new Transition Streets programme, based on input and guidance from Transition Town Totnes
- Promote the programme widely throughout Dacorum
- Engage other local community energy groups in the programme
- Identify potential Street Co-ordinators
- Organise a training workshop for Street Co-ordinators
- Manage localisation and production of the revised Workbook
- Support Street Co-ordinators in enrolling neighbours to engage in the programme
- Collect and summarise “before and after” data
- Prepare a report on results of the programme
- Record their own time and expenses, and submit a monthly invoice and report to GUCE
The post will be suitable for a Dacorum-based person demonstrably committed to the vision and aims of the Transition Network, and with real energy and enthusiasm for the project’s objectives.
Essential for the role:
- well-organised with project coordination abilities
- good people skills, with strong verbal and written communication and meeting facilitation abilities
- knowledge of Transition principles, awareness of sustainability issues and opportunities at household level, and readiness to learn more
- able and willing to work flexible hours, including frequent evening and weekend working scheduled for the convenience of others.
Applications: By email to email@example.com Please provide a covering letter and CV explaining why you are suitable for the post and demonstrating that you have the skills to complete the tasks outlined.
Closing date for applications: We will be reviewing applications on receipt and aim to appoint as soon as possible. Selected applicants will be invited to interview (evenings).